Communitay de Humptay
Lots of jibba jabba

Sub-domain redirection

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1
dudamir Posted: Wed, Jan 24 2007 2:16 AM

I like de subdomain redirection and I'll use it in my website. I'd like to know what I need to install in the IIS in order to have only the blog engine working. Do I need to do a full install? Or can upload only some folders?

Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 592
Humpty replied on Wed, Jan 24 2007 6:00 AM

You'll have to install the full Community Server (CS) package.  After that you can use the Subdomain Module to have the base address of CS be a particular blog.  In addition to using the Subdomain Module you might want to visually disable the other portions of CS from the Navigation section of whatever blog skin you're using, that way it'll appear a little bit more like you only have a blog setup.  By visually disable I just mean go to the SiteUrls.config file in the root of the CS installation and commenting out the <link> elements within the <navigation> section you don't want displayed.

As for IIS, the only thing you might need to do there is to make sure whatever domain, or subdomain, you want to use is valid.  In my case I own the domain timothyhumphrey.name but I had to create a forums subdomain at my web hoster so that forums.timothyhumphrey.name would even be a valid URL.  Sometimes people forget this step, but before CS can get any request IIS must forward it to it, thus the URL must be recognized to it.  Note, if you use a subdomain just point it the place where CS is installed, not any blog subfolder or anything, the Subdomain Module will handle the internal redirects for you.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2
Ranko replied on Mon, Feb 12 2007 2:56 AM
Humpty:

As for IIS, the only thing you might need to do there is to make sure whatever domain, or subdomain, you want to use is valid.  In my case I own the domain timothyhumphrey.name but I had to create a forums subdomain at my web hoster so that forums.timothyhumphrey.name would even be a valid URL.  Sometimes people forget this step, but before CS can get any request IIS must forward it to it, thus the URL must be recognized to it.  Note, if you use a subdomain just point it the place where CS is installed, not any blog subfolder or anything, the Subdomain Module will handle the internal redirects for you.

Let me know if you need any more help.

I need more help.

I did all of that, but what do you mean by pointing the subdomain to the CS installation?

Thanks. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 592
Humpty replied on Mon, Feb 12 2007 5:50 PM
Ranko:
I need more help.

I did all of that, but what do you mean by pointing the subdomain to the CS installation?

Thanks. 

When you're setting up the subdomain with your web hoster you (normally) have to define the location where the content for the subdomain will come.  Set this location to be the same as your Community Server (CS) installation.  For instance, if you had a folder on your web host named "cs" and that's where you installed Community Server too, you would set your subdomain's content to come from the "cs" folder.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2
Ranko replied on Wed, Feb 14 2007 7:48 AM

The only thing I can do in my control panel is open up a subdomain, and that automatically creates a folder with the same name. So, is there any way around that?

Thanks for your help. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 592
Humpty replied on Thu, Feb 15 2007 7:29 PM

I actually had the same problem with my hoster, I had to open a support ticket with them and had them manually change my subdomain's path. You can try the same, otherwise I can't think of anything else that can be done.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS